Monthly Weigh-In: April 2013



This is a pretty hard post to write, but I want to be honest with you, my readers. I wanted to discuss all aspects of my life, including my weight loss journey. I’d like to say I’m just starting on this journey, but really I’ve been struggling with my weight for about 10 years now. When I was in university I was the opposite of most people: I lost weight at school and gained it over the summers; unfortunately, I always seemed to gain a little more than the year before, so my gradually increased over the years. Then, once I finished with school about 5 years ago I would lose 15-20 pounds and then not try as hard to keep up with my eating and exercising and the weight – plus some – would come back on. I don’t want to make excuses, because there really is none, but add in there 2 years of illness requiring medication with weight-gain side effects and bed rest, you wind up where I am: obese. I think the technical term, according to the BMI charts is smack-dab-in-the-middle of "Obese Class II (Severely Obese)."  Let me tell you, that doesn’t feel good.

I don’t want to just blame my bed rest, or medication, for the weight gain because although it would contribute to it, it is also possible to have either of those things without weight gain. It’s just easier to blame something else than to blame ourselves. It’s easier to say “this thing made me what I am” instead of admitting that I failed myself: I made me what I am.

The important thing, is that I’m heading on the right track. I’m making healthier choices, I’m watching what I eat. I’ve joined Weight Watchers Online in an effort to track my eating without become obsessed by calories. That, and the fact that I’m more likely to stick with logging my foods because I’m paying for it. I already knew I tend to overeat on the weekends, but thought I do pretty good during the week. In fact, I’ve discovered I don’t enough during the week. By not eating enough, I was sending my body into starvation mode so that when I did overeat it grabbed on to everything! Not a good combination!

I haven’t started adding in exercise yet, due to my capabilities (or perceived), and due to the weather; I’m going to start walking to and from work, about 10-15 mins each way. Once it’s a bit warmer I plan on doing a walk we call “the loop,” it’s 5km. I’m going to start only doing part of the loop once a week, but hope to build up to doing the full loop 5 days a week by the end of the summer. Next winter I’m going to use the gym a few times a week, as well.  Even without the exercise, the simple changes I have made to my diet have allowed me to lose 3 lbs in 3 weeks. I’m really pleased, and hope I can keep this up.  I’m planning on doing an update once a month, let me know what kind of information you want? Do you want to know my favorite recipe of the month, new exercise I have learned?
--Andrea

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up